How do you know your septic system is working properly on the home you are purchasing? Many Counties require a Septic Use Permit or some type of Acceptance Document when there is a transfer of Title. Normally the Buyer's Agent will require (in the purchase contract) the Seller to have the septic pumped, inspected, repairs made (if needed) and apply for a Septic Use Permit. In Counties that don't require certification, you can still request the Seller perform the items (minus County paperwork). The inspector is certified and evaluates the condition of the system.